Student Sponsorships and Scholarships
Providing support for students is key for the schools in Niger. Sponsorships and scholarships provide tuition assistance and much more.
Our partners in Niger strive to provide quality educational opportunities that are accessible to girls and boys, rich and poor, Muslims and Christians. In order to reach this goal a student scholarship fund has been created for school fees and costs, which include books and classroom supplies, room and board (for boarding students), and medical and hygiene care.
Sponsorship (primary school) and scholarship (secondary school) donations are combined with gifts from all other sponsors who support kids in Niger. There are two different ways in which these funds are used.
- First, the fees and costs are wholly or partially covered for students who are orphaned or abandoned, come from a disadvantaged family, or are students of Nigerien missionaries.
- Second, funds are used to defray some of the operating costs of schools because of the discrepancy between the cost of tuition charged for all students and the “real cost” of educating a child in Niger.
The reality of the economic situation in Niger is such that the majority of families are unable to afford the actual cost. Thus, tuition and schooling costs are subsidized in order to make it possible for all students to attend.
- Primary School: $360/year or $30/month
- Secondary School: $600/year or $50/month
Visit our Sponsorships and Scholarships page for additional information.
Teacher Training and Administrative Scholarships
Training provides students with high quality education. To date, we have provided 7 Teacher Training Scholarships and 1 Master’s of Education Scholarship.
Our partners in Niger endeavor to train teachers who are excited and prepared to teach and establish institutions where values are taught and modeled, as well as model an effective and transformative educational program for Niger.
In order to accomplish these goals it is necessary to send current and aspiring teachers for further training. In a predominately Islamic country where there is already a lack of qualified teachers it is challenging to find enough teachers to meet the demand at new and existing schools. Therefore, as schools are built it is necessary to train more teachers.
- Teacher Training Scholarship (one teacher) = $2,000
- Masters of Administration Degree (one teacher) = $4,000
Learn more about the Teacher Training program.
Build and Furnish Schools
We work with our partners in Niger to build a permanent and lasting future for children in Niger.
Generally, local leaders start new primary schools with a pre-school and kindergarten and then add a class each year until 6th grade. While these schools often begin in existing community buildings, space runs out quickly and within a few years new buildings must be constructed.
School construction is completed in two phases with each phase consisting of a single three-classroom block. Once the classrooms have been completed they must be equipped with desks, chalkboards, shelves, computers and supplies.
Secondary and Other Schools
The Remember Niger Coalition also seeks to support the construction of Secondary Schools or other projects that benefit the most needy children in Niger.
Gifts supporting our Facility program go towards construction, wells, solar panels, latrines, gardens, hand-washing stations and other projects as requested by our Nigerien partners.
- Construct one classroom block = $45,000 – $50,000
- Wells, solar panels, latrines, hand-washing stations and supplies = range from $100 – $5,000
- Books, supplies, desks, beds = range from $40 per student to $120 per desk/bed
Learn more about the need for School Buildings.
Health and Nutrition
Food insecurity is a constant concern – Over 300 children receive nutritious meals at the EERN schools annually through our Food Program.
The Food and Garden Program was created to ensure that students receive at least one meal per day. (One location is a boarding school, so the Food Program there is especially important.) Repeated food emergencies, the result of droughts in the Sahel region of Africa, and other issues, is worsening. Remember Niger is responding by increasing our support for the purchase of food for each school.
We also invest in the gardens, particularly for the boarding school. The garden serves several very important roles:
- Provides much needed additional nutrition for the students, teachers and administrators
- Helps the schools cope with the effects of drought, erratic rains and fluctuating food prices
- Provides a teaching opportunity – students learn about growing conditions, plants and much more
Read more about our Health and Nutrition program.
Technology skills are an important piece of education for all children. Computer lab installation and training for teachers have been the focus of past trips to Niger.
To date, three computer labs (computers, desks, electrical and more) and three training sessions have been provided. The computer labs have refurbished computers and basic software.
- In-Kind donations of refurbished computers that meet the needs of the schools in Niger are always welcome. Please contact us for more information.
- Gifts ranging from $200 to $5,000 are needed for equipment and technology training.
Learn more about our Computer Lab program.